Potable water disinfection in Luxembourg nature reserve
The Obersauer Nature Reserve in the Luxembourg Ardennes is a natural paradise of valleys, wet meadows and forests. In the heart of the reserve is the Esch-sur-Sûre reservoir, which provides water for around 80% of the country's population.
Clean potable water for Luxembourg
The 3.8 km² reservoir above the community of Esch-sur-Sûre was built in the 1950s in response to the country's growing demand for potable water: It stores water from a catchment area of 428 km², which is treated by the local water authority SEBES to make it suitable for drinking. The reservoir supplies around 80% of Luxembourg's population. The water is purified, filtered and then disinfected with sodium-calcium hypochlorite. The continuous metering of small amounts of this aggressive and gaseous chemical at a pressure of 25 bar presents a particular challenge, for which SEBES had to find the right metering pump.
- Local treatment of potable water in Luxembourg
- Disinfection with sodium hypochlorite
- Particular difficulty in metering against high pressure
- Metering via the solenoid driven metering pump delta®
- Gaseous media controlled by optoGuard®
optoDrive®, optoGuard® – optimal
SEBES opted for a ProMinent solenoid driven metering pump delta® – the only pump in this price segment to meet all the specified criteria. Whereas other pumps can only be used at up to 16 bar, this model can handle back pressures of 25 bar and continuously and accurately meter a gaseous chemical at a rate of 3 liters per hour. This is thanks to the solenoid drive optoDrive® and the integrated monitoring function optoGuard®: the regulated solenoid drive allows the compression and suction strokes to be adjusted according to requirements. Gas emission can be suppressed with a slow suction stroke without the need for further accessories. Additionally, the integrated injection point monitoring unit optoGuard® reliably checks that there are no gas inclusions in the dosing head.
Reliable water quality thanks to ProMinent
- Precise metering of sodium hypochlorite at high back pressures of up to 25 bar
- Continuous metering at 3 l/h
- Prevention of gas bubble formation through adjustable compression and suction strokes with optoDrive® to protect against cavitation
- optoGuard® provides automatic detection and elimination of air bubbles
- Plexiglas dosing head is resistant to sodium-calcium hypochlorite